Competition being run as part of the Israeli Entrepreneurship Initiative.
Do you have an innovative start-up or business idea? If you answered yes, then register for the Canada-Israel Start-Up Competition.
The grand prize is an all-inclusive 12 day organized trip to Israel (known as “Start-Up Nation”) for up to three members of your team. The trip to Israel will help you develop your idea and bring it to market and grow your market for your innovative start-up.
All teams will get guidance about growing their business and advice about running successful crowdfunding campaigns.
- Israel earned the moniker “Start-up Nation” after the bestselling book Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel’s Economic Miracle was published by Dan Senor and Saul Singer in 2009.
- Israel has the largest number of start-ups per capita in the world — approximately one for every 1,400 people.
- Israel’s technology sector is second only to Silicon Valley, producing a large number of tech start-ups for its population size.
- Israel is ranked first in the world in terms of VC investment per capita as a percentage of GDP.
- Innovative businesses with Israeli roots: Appixia, Biosan, Ezchip, Fiverr, StoreDot, Viber, Taboola, Trusteer, Waze, Wix, and many more.
Who Can Enter?
Each team should consist of two or more members. It is preferred to have an interdisciplinary team with at least one DeGroote School of Business student or have one student in an interdisciplinary program with the DeGroote School of Business (such as the BDC, Innovation Minor, eHealth MSc program, MSc in Global Health) when registering for the competition.
The competition is open to teams with innovative business ideas or start-ups in all fields, that would benefit from a trip to Israel and will have a positive impact on society.
Thursday, February 7
Deadline for registering to participate.
Tuesday, February 26 (by 4:00 p.m.)
Deadline for written submissions.
Thursday, March 7
Four finalists are announced.
Thursday, March 14
Finalists have a Q&A session with the judges. Award ceremony for all the competition participants.
12 day trip to Israel for up to three members of the winning team.
Students who traveled to Israel give a presentation about their experience.
Read the list of questions to answer in your written submission.
Trip to Israel
This trip is an amazing opportunity for you to network with prominent industry professionals and immerse yourselves in the Israeli start-up world.
Up to three members of the winning team will receive a paid 12 day trip to Israel, which will include accommodations, food, and travel to Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem.
We will work with the winning team to customize the itinerary to suit their business needs and to build up their professional network.
The winning team will be asked to prepare a short presentation to share their experiences during the trip, which will be presented to their peers and the competition staff following their trip.
Congratulations to our four finalist teams:
- Lushness Inc.
Congratulations to the winners of the competition:
- Winning Team: Tyler-Bradley (Tyler Brown, Bradley Kohler, Virginia Mello and Dillon Mulcahy) winning a trip to Israel for 2 team members
- Second Place Team: Lushness Inc. (Kainat Qayyum, Stefon McIntosh, Foluso Ogunjimi) winning a trip to Israel for 1 team member
The winning teams of the Canada-Israel Start-Up Competition will have an opportunity to network with industry professionals and move their businesses forward on their trip to Israel.